Monday, September 17, 2007

MY QUILTING PROJECT

This is the quilt that I started a few months ago. At first I thought I'd make a quilt using some scrap material that I had (I would be thrifty!)...However, as I got going, I realized that I didn't have the right color or enough of a certain pattern, etc., so I ended up having to purchase a lot of fabric too. So my "scrap" quilt ended up being a little bit of scraps and a whole lot of new stuff. I used my mom's fancy sewing machine to do the machine quilting on top.

Here is a picture of the completed product. I wanted to be sure and take a picture before I washed it incase the colors ran. And, good thing I did, because the dark blue color ran. Bummer. Big bummer. I used a product called "Retayne" that is supposed to keep the colors from running and I followed the instructions. The parts that are the most noticeable are the dark yellow squares. Now they are kind of like a light green (blue and yellow makes green!) Well, maybe it's not that bad, it just looks dingy. Maybe it will wear off. I don't know. At least I have a picture of the quilt back when it was in prestine condition, right? Back when it was yellow and happy...instead of ...blue...or should I say green and ugly. Just kidding.


Here's a close up of one of the corners (also before washing). Incase you're interested, I got the pattern from this website: http://quiltville.com/smokeymtstars.shtml

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow Tina, that is a beautiful quilt! I'm really impressed!

Stephanie Ford said...

I'm impressed too. I only attempt baby quilts because anything bigger is too intimidating. And I say if you're going to go through all the effort to make a quilt, you might as well go all out and splurge on fabric so it's worth the time and you're happy with the end product.

It really is beautiful!

Stacy Whitman said...

That's beautiful! I have only made one quilt in my life, for my YW project--for which I had pretty much no idea what I was doing. It was okay, but now 15 or so years later and it's tearing at the seams and such. I have a whole bunch of scraps myself that I've been thinking about making into a quilt, and these pieces seem small enough and regular enough (that was my problem--not cutting regular sized scraps to piece and not having a pattern) that it can even use small scraps.

Big Brother is watching you.